Skip to main content

Miles: 37.24; Units: 25ish

A great week's running - really great. Topped off nicely with a strong long run at the weekend, just under 23 miles, and at an average 7.30 pace, with a very consistent pace throughout between 7.15 and 7.45. As it wasn't flat, this is especially good. I reckon that the Maidenhead 10 is starting to 'come into the legs' as they say. If I can have three more weeks like this, and then taper well, I will be as well set up as I could wish to be for Edinburgh.

Running related of a sort - and a bit of a rant, kicked off by reading an article on-line. It was, I am saddened to say, from the Daily Mail, which is guaranteed to raise anyone's blood pressure, however I came to it via the BBC website, and there were several other stories in a similar vein, so there is a theme here. The first line was "Women run marathons to keep their weight down, but men sign up for the competition, according to research". Nothing wrong with that, you might think - however, consider the 'but'. If you had used the conjunction 'and', think how different the sentence intent might read - it would make either choice seem valid. In my eyes the 'but' makes the male choice seem less positive, less 'right'. Now, I may be taking unreasonable umbrage at a simple bit of reader-demographic-focused writing, so that the mostly female audience at The Mail can read the article over morning coffee and chuckle knowingly to themselves about 'the way men are' in what they might see as harmless and entirely appropriate gender stereotyping from their point of view. Funny, though, how that sort of imbalance and sexism can be acceptable. Just imagine if the sentence had read "Men run marathons to fufil their potential, but women chat most of the way round the race and most don't push themselves as hard as they could". Again, sweeping generalisations..though I have seen that in my time. I reckon that would have them spluttering into their Mocha Skinny Latte...

..I was really off on one there - sorry! There's just a lot of very slight putting down going on. I find that I perceive a lack of balance there - as if it is ok to knock men as a group down a bit. I wouldn't mind, but (that word again) I rarely see an article in the same paper building us blokes back up again.

Anyway, back to more pleasant matters. No doubt buoyed up by the visit to Terra Vina, and as a reward for the long run, I cracked open a bottle of Haut Brion 1996. A perfumed nose, pure cassis, a bit earthy, with some coffee and tobacco. On the palate, a velvety texture of blackcurrants and maybe a slight hint of vanilla. Soft tannins, not at all obtrusive, howev
er this wine is still young, as you could tell that the fruit was constrained and brooding. A great life ahead of this wine - and more pleasingly 11 bottles still in my cellar. I don't have a wealth of experience of first growths- what I read says that Haut Brion always comes out of its shell only after 15 years or so. So, I will have to wait.

Finally, an excellent tasting note on this wine that links in nicely with my rant..."..the Germaine Greer of the First Growths: earthy, but sexy in a way that can't quite be described.". Well, quite. Pip Pip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

miles 30.46; Bike miles 0; Units 27

A good running week. I planned for 4 runs, however only 3 resulted as the Saturday run fell to the combined demons of ice, cold and shopping (!). I thought I might be able to nip in a cheeky 3 or 4 miles after we had returned from the delights of the first batch of Christmas shopping (oh, and buying a new telly...so it was not all bad) but it was not to be. And a rather nice bottle of La Tour du Mons 2000 (Cru Bourgeois Margaux) called too.. This week, I managed a hill session in the cold on Wednesday, which did not tax me too much, a steady 7 on Friday, and then a challenging and hilly 18 on Sunday. This was a great run in the cold air - just splendid to be out there when it is so quiet and cold. Just really wonderful. The temperature hovered between -1 and +1, no snow in sight, and a bit of occasional ice. Just really good. I was reflecting as I ran on one significant change in my attitude since running - and that is my approach to artificial fibres. Before running, it had to be c

Miles 33.84; Units 27

Exercise-wise, a back end loaded week. I had to miss three training days through pressure of work. Sometimes that's not such a bad thing, as it gives you a chance to recover. All too often, we runners can run ourselves into the ground, if we are not careful. However, after two days you start to feel the lack of exercise, and imagine that you are ballooning up in weight. This of course is not true, though that is little comfort. This may also be a personal thing, however I usually find that when I take more than one day off, a number of niggles emerge - in this case a touch of plantar fasciitis (for you non-runners, a pain like a drawing pin being lodged in your heel - see the gloriously Heath-Robinson picture of the necessary stretching to help the recovery). Maybe the body is just seizing the day and bringing the bad stuff out that it has kept under check whilst you are exercising - clearly 3 days is enough for it to think "oh good, we seem to have stopped all this mad runn

miles 21.08; Bike Miles 1; Units 20 excluding Saturday which was far too many!

"a happy weekend is one with more miles on my shoes than my car tyres" Another week of just two runs - but both good quality, including some tough hills. So I am not unhappy with that - would have been good to crack 30 miles this week, though! The Sunday run was out with the running club, as before from St Catherine's in Winchester. It was crisp, dry, and everything that makes a wintry run truly great. You do just feel absolutely alive after that. It also included a rather random piece of pathway that was covered in cows, which needed shooing off the path..slightly worrying. It was along the water meadows at St. Cross - always feels very medieval at that spot, as if you could be seeing a scene that a monk would have encountered 500 years ago. There is something about these old towns that embody and then exude the years of history. I have included a photo of these meadows at St. Cross because I find it truly enigmatic, evocative...and frankly all a bit Cadfael, if you reme