Skip to main content

It's great when it does't hurt...

Sunday was a good day. Went running in the morning. No more than an hour - I am still, after all, recovering from the marathon. I have been nursing a niggle in my right knee, and fearfully inching up the miles -3 ,4, 5 - to find the bite point when it hurts. So, what a pleasure it is not to find it after 8. Now, I did experience a bit of stiffness in the aforementioned muscle, but that's fine, we are on the right path. And I have one more week of doing what I want before I really get back into training. But for what, I wonder...

I reflected on how the lack of a goal in running can make it all quite strange. I don't think many people are truly spontaneous, and just run when they fancy, with no thought of purpose. Maybe there are folk like that. Not the ones I meet, though. The need to have some kind of a target just makes it all make sense to me. It doesn't have to be a bold one, but it does need to be there. So, I have not yet set my sights on the next 3 months, I feel however that is not far away..

So, with a good run behind me, I tackled the destruction of the old garden shed, along with two visits to the tip. What a robustly DIY thing to do! The new shed sits in the garage, beaming about its fresh newness and reeking of that protective liquid, not creosote any more, some other sort of preservative.

And then the Grand Prix - very exciting. Well done Sir Frank.

To round it all off, a glorious bottle of Rosso di Montalcino Camigliano 2007. A sweet, raspberry-fruited vintage, warm and luxurious in the mouth. An absolute treat. Just what good central Italian wine is all about. Sangiovese at its very best. It is a glorious vintage, so fill your bootless. The 2006 ain't bad either.. About £15, I bought it from the Wine Society a year or so ago.

Good times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miles 34.7; Units 28

A week is a long time in running, if I may use the political catchphrase. This week started with a slippery drive to circuits, then on Tuesday having to turn back on the motorway from a drive to Sheffield, and a treadmill intervals session on Wednesday to keep safe in the icy conditions. Saturday was a gloomy and wet run, though by Sunday it was shorts and t-shirt for the long run, in the balmy conditions of 8 degrees! The Long Run, by the way, was partly down the Test Way, where you run along the old railway branch line, now a track for runners and walkers. Some lucky people bought the old station at Horsebridge and have turned it into their home, and a wedding venue. A real touch of 'Oh Mr. Porter!'. A week of trying hard and not quite succeeding, alas, with all of the runs just failing to hit the mark. Not sure why. The Romsey 5 is next weekend, and I have just not got the quality sessions in I'd like to have done. It will be an endurance battle.. Wine of this week (stil...

miles 20.64; Bike Miles 0; Units probably too many!

A couple of runs this week, Tuesday and Sunday, the latter a great long run - just over 14 miles - really feeling back in the swing of things, and ready to book some races now. It was just glorious to be out in the cool but sunny weather - absolute joy! I am finally feeling like I am able to run again. It has also been a bit more of a relaxed week at work, with a couple of days on a training course, and the rest of the time in the office. Also, the throat was gently easing out by the weekend ( I did promise not to go on about it).... ....which is good when I tell you that we went to Hotel Terravina again, this time as a gift for my 40th Birthday from Carol and Huw, to take part in a 'sabrage' event, which means that you chop the top off a bottle of champagne with a sabre! All very extravagant and grand - see me brandishing said bottle in the attached photo. What a great experience that was, really very special. Thanks to C&H for that! Other than the Champagne we also had tw...

Lovely wines in Hong Kong

Have just arrived in Hong Kong for a brief stay. Dined last night at Felix, on top of the Peninsula. Most enjoyable! Four lovely wines - Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2010, a really delicate, lightly oaked wine, Chablis her Cru Leflaive 2006, crisp, lean, racy and with some age on it, and Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella - a beast of a wine! And to finish, Ch. Guiraud 1998, delicate, ripe, some botrytis. Life is clearly not like this every day. But it's good when it is like this a bit!