Skip to main content

Verdicchio, Wirra Wirra, Bordeaux, Victory 5!

Sunday brought my first race in a long time - the first since the London Marathon in April. I had originally decided to aim for as many of the races in the Hampshire league as possible - and then promptly failed by missing the first one (fair point - because we were on holiday for a week!). I was also aware that my running has been a bit goal-less in recent months, so there was something about sticking to what I had said I would do - and if nothing else, we'd know where the fitness levels really stood...

..and the answer was, most satisfyingly, pretty good! The Victory 5 is a flat-as-a-pancake race from the track at the Mountbatten sports centre in Portsmouth, up to IBM, and then back to finish on the track. Just under 1000 runners, with some really fast Johnnies at the front end. I started well enough, then had to pul in to the side of the track after only 100m to tie my shoelaces - and experienced the pain of the field rushing by me! I rejoined and spent the next 2 minutes weaving in and out of the back of the field, until we got to the open path and I could start to push on. Psychologically, however, I think this might have worked in my favour, as I passed other runners at every stage of the race until about the last 1/4 mile, when I finally caught up with my 'correct' running group. Final time was 32m06s, just off my target of 32m01s, which is 70% on the 'age-adjusted' tables, pretty much my target now for races. All told, a great morale-booster - and I met some lovely people too!

On the wine front, I know that some time in the last 7-10 days I drank these bottles as I saw fit to photograph them. But I am getting all out of step with my weekly chronology! Still, I shall not endeavour to redress that just yet.

Firstly, a Verdicchio from Monte Schiavo 2010 (Wine Society - £8ish?). Continuing my enjoyment of this fresh grape from Marche, this caught my eye as it was also highly praised in the Decanter wine awards. And, rightly so too, for it was fragrant, with a hint of apricots, and on the palate, clean, dry, good acidity, and with an almost almonds finish. Just the wine for fish or chicken. Much to be recommended here. 


Secondly, an altogether bigger wine, the Wirra Wirra Original Blend 2009 from Mclaren Vale (WineSociety, £12ish?). So the story goes (and plucked from their own website), when Greg Trott first intended to release his now famous "Church Block" in 1972 it was a Grenache/Shiraz blend. However he was persuaded to modify that by Brian Croser to a cabernet sauvignon, shiraz and merlot. So, as a bit of a homage to the first wine, he now produced this blend. Phew - long story! Anyway, it is a gloriously ripe and rich hottie. Lovely with chunky meats.

Pip pip

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miles 34.7; Units 28

A week is a long time in running, if I may use the political catchphrase. This week started with a slippery drive to circuits, then on Tuesday having to turn back on the motorway from a drive to Sheffield, and a treadmill intervals session on Wednesday to keep safe in the icy conditions. Saturday was a gloomy and wet run, though by Sunday it was shorts and t-shirt for the long run, in the balmy conditions of 8 degrees! The Long Run, by the way, was partly down the Test Way, where you run along the old railway branch line, now a track for runners and walkers. Some lucky people bought the old station at Horsebridge and have turned it into their home, and a wedding venue. A real touch of 'Oh Mr. Porter!'. A week of trying hard and not quite succeeding, alas, with all of the runs just failing to hit the mark. Not sure why. The Romsey 5 is next weekend, and I have just not got the quality sessions in I'd like to have done. It will be an endurance battle.. Wine of this week (stil...

miles 20.64; Bike Miles 0; Units probably too many!

A couple of runs this week, Tuesday and Sunday, the latter a great long run - just over 14 miles - really feeling back in the swing of things, and ready to book some races now. It was just glorious to be out in the cool but sunny weather - absolute joy! I am finally feeling like I am able to run again. It has also been a bit more of a relaxed week at work, with a couple of days on a training course, and the rest of the time in the office. Also, the throat was gently easing out by the weekend ( I did promise not to go on about it).... ....which is good when I tell you that we went to Hotel Terravina again, this time as a gift for my 40th Birthday from Carol and Huw, to take part in a 'sabrage' event, which means that you chop the top off a bottle of champagne with a sabre! All very extravagant and grand - see me brandishing said bottle in the attached photo. What a great experience that was, really very special. Thanks to C&H for that! Other than the Champagne we also had tw...

Lovely wines in Hong Kong

Have just arrived in Hong Kong for a brief stay. Dined last night at Felix, on top of the Peninsula. Most enjoyable! Four lovely wines - Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2010, a really delicate, lightly oaked wine, Chablis her Cru Leflaive 2006, crisp, lean, racy and with some age on it, and Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella - a beast of a wine! And to finish, Ch. Guiraud 1998, delicate, ripe, some botrytis. Life is clearly not like this every day. But it's good when it is like this a bit!