Skip to main content

Three lovely wines


Just a quick post to talk about three lovely wines, two from a recent Wine Society delivery, and one from Waitrose. It has been a while since I last posted, so I won't make this too long, preferring to get it out there!

Just one line on the running front - I am back to 3 runs a week, about 25 miles, with no specific training goals until I come back from holiday.  Feels like I will focus on some shorter races. The injuries are settling down....anyway, on to wine.



The first is a great curiosity - Tio Pepe 'En Rama' (£12.50, Wine Society). This is the second production of this Fino sherry, bottled in Spring 2011 with strict instructions to drink within 3 months. OK then, if you insist...and so the first of my two bottles lasted precisely 48 hours from delivery. (talking of bottles, I feel privileged too, as only 5,300 or so bottles are produced as well.This special version of the excellent sherry Tio Pepe is handled lightly, with minimal treatment and filtration, to preserve the full richness of the wine . It is taken when the 'flor' - the yeast blanket that accumulates in the barrel to protect the wine - is at its thickest. Anyway, it is gorgeous, dry, nutty, fresh..and such a great aperitif. The mouth is positively salivating for food after this - and it goes very well with olives and almonds, as you may imagine.  What is intriguing is that this is clearly a 'wine du moment' as I have seen it written up all over the place, from Anthony Rose through to Jamie Goode. I guess that the wine aficionado loves sherry, and looks for any opportunity to evangelise about it.

The second (middle bottle above) is Cedro do Noval, Douro, 2007 (£15.50). This the second wine of the famous port house Quinta do Noval, and graded as a Vinho Regional because it contains non-Portuguese grapes, in this case 25% syrah. This is blended with the traditional Port grapes, though not fortified, and so is a strange, heady brew, with the rich, cut-with-a-knife characteristics of an LBV, and a bit of warm spice. Quite alcoholic too, so we drank this over two nights, and, as is so often the case with chunky wines, the second night was much better, as it had softened out the harsh edges, and the tannins seemed more in balance. A definite winner for 24 hours of decanting here - high risk but high reward as a wine strategy!

The final wine of the trio is a lovely white, d'Arenberg's 'The Hermit Crab' 2008 (£9.99 Waitrose), essentially an Australian blend in the Southern Rhone style. Since we don't actually drink a whole load of White Chateauneuf anyway, which is a bit of a shame, then I have a limited comparison set (in fact the last white Rhones I can remember were some lovely Chateauneufs, bought in the town itself, at a lovely cellar where Lesley and Janet were salivating over the dishy salesman, whilst Martin and I resolutely tasted the wines..

Pip pip and drink well

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miles 34.7; Units 28

A week is a long time in running, if I may use the political catchphrase. This week started with a slippery drive to circuits, then on Tuesday having to turn back on the motorway from a drive to Sheffield, and a treadmill intervals session on Wednesday to keep safe in the icy conditions. Saturday was a gloomy and wet run, though by Sunday it was shorts and t-shirt for the long run, in the balmy conditions of 8 degrees! The Long Run, by the way, was partly down the Test Way, where you run along the old railway branch line, now a track for runners and walkers. Some lucky people bought the old station at Horsebridge and have turned it into their home, and a wedding venue. A real touch of 'Oh Mr. Porter!'. A week of trying hard and not quite succeeding, alas, with all of the runs just failing to hit the mark. Not sure why. The Romsey 5 is next weekend, and I have just not got the quality sessions in I'd like to have done. It will be an endurance battle.. Wine of this week (stil...

miles 20.64; Bike Miles 0; Units probably too many!

A couple of runs this week, Tuesday and Sunday, the latter a great long run - just over 14 miles - really feeling back in the swing of things, and ready to book some races now. It was just glorious to be out in the cool but sunny weather - absolute joy! I am finally feeling like I am able to run again. It has also been a bit more of a relaxed week at work, with a couple of days on a training course, and the rest of the time in the office. Also, the throat was gently easing out by the weekend ( I did promise not to go on about it).... ....which is good when I tell you that we went to Hotel Terravina again, this time as a gift for my 40th Birthday from Carol and Huw, to take part in a 'sabrage' event, which means that you chop the top off a bottle of champagne with a sabre! All very extravagant and grand - see me brandishing said bottle in the attached photo. What a great experience that was, really very special. Thanks to C&H for that! Other than the Champagne we also had tw...

Lovely wines in Hong Kong

Have just arrived in Hong Kong for a brief stay. Dined last night at Felix, on top of the Peninsula. Most enjoyable! Four lovely wines - Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2010, a really delicate, lightly oaked wine, Chablis her Cru Leflaive 2006, crisp, lean, racy and with some age on it, and Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella - a beast of a wine! And to finish, Ch. Guiraud 1998, delicate, ripe, some botrytis. Life is clearly not like this every day. But it's good when it is like this a bit!