Skip to main content

First steps after the marathon

It's Bank Holiday Monday, and I am now all set up in my running gear (always important to buy a new set at the marathon expo, so you have something to look forward to when you go for the first run after the big day!). Nice stuff from Gore as well...

8 days since I last pulled on a running shoe...long enough to miss it and want it again..

..still disappointed (a bit) over my London performance, but getting over it...3:38 still a great time, and I know I throttled back in the second half anyway as I knew I wasn't on for  PB or qualification time. I reckon that's why I am not so knackered now.

..have had a week of good food and wine, nothing spectacular, just some pleasing bottles - sitting here now I can remember:

Volnay Vielles Vignes Nicolas Potel 2005, silky yet with a bit of tannic bite
Vigna Flaminia Rosato by Vallone, from Brindisi, a lovely dry and rich wine, made from Montepulciano and Negroamaro grapes, perfect with tuna steaks
Hannibal 2004 by Bouchard Findlayson, a strange blend of Pinot, Sangiovese and Rhone grapes..light yet heavy, if that makes sense!

Will start to write again next week, I think, less formulaic..

Pip pip

John.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miles 34.7; Units 28

A week is a long time in running, if I may use the political catchphrase. This week started with a slippery drive to circuits, then on Tuesday having to turn back on the motorway from a drive to Sheffield, and a treadmill intervals session on Wednesday to keep safe in the icy conditions. Saturday was a gloomy and wet run, though by Sunday it was shorts and t-shirt for the long run, in the balmy conditions of 8 degrees! The Long Run, by the way, was partly down the Test Way, where you run along the old railway branch line, now a track for runners and walkers. Some lucky people bought the old station at Horsebridge and have turned it into their home, and a wedding venue. A real touch of 'Oh Mr. Porter!'. A week of trying hard and not quite succeeding, alas, with all of the runs just failing to hit the mark. Not sure why. The Romsey 5 is next weekend, and I have just not got the quality sessions in I'd like to have done. It will be an endurance battle.. Wine of this week (stil...

miles 20.64; Bike Miles 0; Units probably too many!

A couple of runs this week, Tuesday and Sunday, the latter a great long run - just over 14 miles - really feeling back in the swing of things, and ready to book some races now. It was just glorious to be out in the cool but sunny weather - absolute joy! I am finally feeling like I am able to run again. It has also been a bit more of a relaxed week at work, with a couple of days on a training course, and the rest of the time in the office. Also, the throat was gently easing out by the weekend ( I did promise not to go on about it).... ....which is good when I tell you that we went to Hotel Terravina again, this time as a gift for my 40th Birthday from Carol and Huw, to take part in a 'sabrage' event, which means that you chop the top off a bottle of champagne with a sabre! All very extravagant and grand - see me brandishing said bottle in the attached photo. What a great experience that was, really very special. Thanks to C&H for that! Other than the Champagne we also had tw...

Lovely wines in Hong Kong

Have just arrived in Hong Kong for a brief stay. Dined last night at Felix, on top of the Peninsula. Most enjoyable! Four lovely wines - Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2010, a really delicate, lightly oaked wine, Chablis her Cru Leflaive 2006, crisp, lean, racy and with some age on it, and Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella - a beast of a wine! And to finish, Ch. Guiraud 1998, delicate, ripe, some botrytis. Life is clearly not like this every day. But it's good when it is like this a bit!